Thursday, June 28, 2012

Riding along to the Mill

Yesterday I showed you Harvest in progress and loading the wheat truck.
Today I'm sharing the next step, unloading.
Handsome Man was so sweet and asked if I'd like to ride to town with him to unload the wheat at the Mill.  As you can see we drive really, really nice trucks.  Well...it's all about the journey and not what you drive to get there.
And during Harvest this is one of the ways we can spend time together.  (Sometimes you take any opportunity you can get.)
A Harvest Limousine...


Oh, and yes it comes equipped with only the finest of airconditioners!  Handsome Man was so sweet to turn it so I would get the full effect. 
Isn't he just the best!  As I said you've got to love them. (And I do!) 

Here we are!  First, you drive up on the scales and weigh, then you drive on up and unload in what seems to be a hole in the floor with a grate over it, there are some guys (with face masks) standing around the grate with brooms.  Don't want to waste a single grain.  Then you turn around and weigh again, empty this time.  When you've finished they hand you a ticket that lets you know the weight or bushels you've stored.  Pretty cool!  (Remember I'm not real versed on all the terms, but this is my blog, ~I have tried to explain the process...but, you do have to consider the source.)  Just sayin'  *I'm sure Handsome Man is chuckling at this point.*


Well, we arrived back home and as you can see the combine was at work again to be ready to unload into the truck.  The process continues...

This was a nostalgic ride for me. 
The truck once belonged to my Dad.
My Dad was a custom harvester.  
Harvest was a favorite time for him.
I loved it when he came out and pulled a few heads, to count the grains per head and predict Harvest Time. 
He loved coming out to help Handsome Man with Harvest.
Actually, he loved driving the combines.  He loved green, John Deere Green.

Gotta go, Handsome Man called, "Parts Run."

Along for the ride,
MFSD

No comments:

Post a Comment