Monday, August 13, 2012

Vacation reading...

I love to read books while traveling on vacation.  (Let's be honest~I love to read anytime.)  And, I also love to look around to see what everyone else is reading at the airport.  You can get some good ideas for what's a hot read of the summer!  However, with all the e~readers, Kindles, Ipads...it's getting to be a lot more challenging.  You can't just walk up and say, "Hey, whatcha'
reading?" 

I love reading from my Kindle.  It's so handy to pack in my purse and pull out to read while waiting on all the many things and times we have to sit and wait.  Office visits, trains, so on and so forth...

But while I'm on vacation I like to take a paperback so if I leave it on a plane, train, or even in the hotel, I don't feel soooo bad even all the way to Alaska.  Besides, sometimes I love to touch the page.  I really miss that with my Kindle.  And as you can see, I'm a little rough on my paperbacks.  I tend to bend them way back for that smooth side to side flow of reading.  (Now, I only do that to my books~and not the ones I borrow.)

So I spent at least thirty minutes in the book aisle.  Selection begins with the covers, if I like the cover, I'm intrigued.  Then I read the title, and back cover.
Next, I check out the first page.  A few times I've read the last page~but everytime I do~it ruins the whole book for me.  I love surprises.  (It's like opening up a Christmas package before Christmas.  It just ruins the suspense.)  Sorry, I'm rambling...Christmas in July, August???
Anyway~I spied this cover and was interested when I noticed that it mentioned the London Games.  Knowing that the Olympics would be starting while we were gone, I decided it would be a good choice for my airport and flight reading.  James didn't disappoint me.  I had it read when our flights ended in Vancouver.

Mystery.  Murder. 
Psychopathic killer.
2012 Olympics.
If you're a James Patterson fan~
you'll like this one.


So, we've landed in Vancouver, Canada...
I've finished my read...

It's the next morning.
We're walking around for a short tour of the City before it's time
to check out of our hotel room and get to the ship...
And I spy a book store.

Just look at it!  It's so inviting.
There's a stairway inside that reminded me of the Fox Books
from the movie, "You've Got Mail."
Now, you ask, how did I see this from here?
Well... the night before when we took a taxi from the airport to the hotel...
I spied this bookstore and noticed the stairway inside lit up at night.
(Similar to the one, Meg Ryan climbs after closing her store and assists a clerk with a children's book.)
((The Shoes, books.)) ~I love that movie!
~~~
Shhhh...Please don't tell Handsome Man.
Really!  I didn't know we might find it the next morning.  Really!
Inside I was like a kid in a candy store.
Books were everywhere.
I found this one in the, Great Beach Reads.
Cover, check.
Back cover, check.
First page, check.
It passed the test.

Mia March did a great job of telling a story of three young women.
Their joys, sorrows, challenges to become the women they dared to be, and
finding the courage to achieve it.
Every family has a story.

"Perhaps he knew, as I did not, that the earth was made
round so that we would not see too far down the road."
~Karen Blixen, played by Meryl Streep
in the film, Out of Africa
Oh yeah...I was hooked.

What are some of your summer reads?
How do you go about selecting them?

Loving the stories,
MFSD

No comments:

Post a Comment