Thursday, July 26, 2012

Killdeer Babies

Awwwww...
They are so tiny!

Killdeer
Charadrius vociferus
Order:  Charadriformes
Family:  Charadridae

If only they would stay out of the middle of the road.

It was an early morning, I was leaving for town, watching the road,
(I'm not a farmer/rancher so I keep my eyes focused on the road, mostly.
Except when I see a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at post or baby birds in the middle of the road.)  Anyway...
I see a Momma Killdeer hop up (in the middle of the road) and three tiny, tiny babies hop up from under her and begin dashing around the road. 
I swerve so as not to end their already brief life; thankfully I miss.

Aren't they adorable!  So again I've got to learn a little about these birds.
Here we go:
They are a shorebird that you can see without going to the beach.  (Obviously, I don't live at the beach!)  They are the least water-associated of all shorebirds.  They run across their terrain (open grounds with low vegetation) in spurts and stop frequently (maybe hoping to have stirred up some insect activity?).
They are slender and lanky, with a long pointed tail and wings.

More bird watching,
MFSD
Information taken from:   http://www.allaboutbirds.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment