Monday, July 9, 2012

The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Tyrannus Forficatus
Order:  Passeriformes
Family:  Tyrannidae

I've noticed a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher sitting at post on the fence as I'm headed to town.  He or She is there almost everyday; and most always in the same spot.  Even though I stopped, rolled down my window, left my engine running... the bird stayed right there.  As though nothing would make it move.
I didn't dare try to get any closer...after all this is his territory.  Or...
Maybe he's just been waiting for me to stop and take his picture.

Our state bird is quite a site close up.  I'm sorry my photo doesn't do it justice.  Amazing that it can balance and maneuver with that long back tail attached; such grace in stillness.  I decided I didn't know much about it, so here is what I've learned.

The nape of it's neck and back are a pearly gray, the breast is white, and the wings are a sooty black with a touch of scarlet on the shoulders and a salmon pink belly.  Beautiful!
Like he's dressed for a formal dinner, with a red hanky for a touch of class.
(Does the term, "hanky," go with formal?)  Hmmmmmm...

May 5, 1951, it was adopted by our State Legislature as our State Bird.
It is commonly found along roadsides perched on fences (mine likes this the best), open prairies (we have a lot of those), along tree-lined roadsides.  Yep, that's my bird.  Their tails can reach up to nine inches in length.  While in flight they open them in a scissor-like fashion, and close the tail while perching.  They like to consume grasshoppers (Handsome Man would like him to eat more), crickets, spiders, and other ground-dwelling insects~this makes them very popular with farmers and ranchers.  Yep, that's right!

Bird watching,
MFSD

Information taken from:  http://www.birdsofoklahoma.net/

1 comment:

  1. Loved your post, Gina! :) I saw one out on a fence line east of town the other day. Somewhat "regal" in the way they sit so calmly...like "I have this all under control, so not to worry!" :) Hope you're having a wonderful day~ L.

    ReplyDelete